Thursday, September 24, 2020

Lineages Inspired: Rovers

 I love dogs. I love scrappy little dogs like terriers, mutts, and spaniels. I love their tenacity, their endless optimism, and their unwavering affection. They give me hope and to be frank, if I could be more simply joyful as dogs often are, I'd probably be a happier person. I knew from as far back as when I was wrirting the first edition of The Hero's Journey.


I've had dogs as friends and companions for most of my life. Muffin, Max, D.C. Jack, and Pippin. A few months ago, my lil' buddy Pippin (a Yorkie/Cairn mix) passed after almost nineteen years of being awesome. I was, and am, sad of course. But the thing is, he was a great dog and played like a puppy right up until the day before he passed. He was named Pippin because like the fool of a Took he was cute, energetic, always happy to meet new people, ready for adventure wherever it took him, and a complete and utter simpleton. 

That's what a dog has always been to me: A steadfast and loyal companion. We all hear stories of a young hero with their loyal animal companion who stands by them through thick and thin. So much so that it's become a narrative trope and taken on a greater resonance. So, naturally, I had put it in THJ2e. 

It's by far the most unorthodox lineage available in the game, I admit. But I think it has a proper place. Rovers are, for the most part, perfectly mundane dogs. They're just a little smarter, a little more capable than their real world counterpart - just like in the stories. The biggest influences on the creation of the Rover were several rather disparate sources. J.R.R. Tolkien's short novel Roverandom was definitely one, but also the adventures of Lassie, a favorite childhood film 1993's Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (I dare you to watch this scene and not cry), and the video short Steadfast Stanley.

I wanted that noble devotion, that joyful dedication, that true and simple heroism present in my game and I couldn't think of a better personification than the beloved canines who had stood by me through the years.

Why call them "Rovers"?

Two reasons. One "Rover" is a traditional (to the point of being cliche) name for a dog and second as a nod to Roverandom. Also, given that it's a dog on a journey who "roves" it seem doubly appropriate.

Why include them in the game?

I've been in so many table top RPGs where a player character gets an animal companion or familiar as an NPC and they clearly love having it - so much so that they start taking more interest in that companion than in their original PC. So why not cut out the middle man and allow them to play that role? Yes, there are some obvious limits (thumbs are useful, after all), but I loved the idea of the heroic group who has a loyal dog by their side through all the danger - or even a two PC game with a single hero and their steadfast canine.

What do they contribute to the game?

Dogs have an innocence and hope about them that I believe are at the core of the themes THJ2e tries to evoke. They are loyal and optimistic, satisfied with the simple joys of live over treasure. Mechanically speaking, they're small, quick, and natural trackers. In addition, though not powerful combatants they're never unarmed. An often overlooked element ot the Rover is that they're quite literally a 25 - 30 lbs dog which means they can often get into places and observe things that other lineages cannot. This makes them excellent scouts and spies.

Customizing the Rover

I have to admit that once the Rover was in The Hero's Companion, I figured that was it for animal player characters. But then Mike Brodu went and did all the hard lifting and heavy writing on Of Beasts Brave and True, which gives opens for playable animals - namely cats, birds, and horses. All of these creatures certainly have their place in the stories and tales that inspired THJ2e, but Mike took it a step further and even included a few mythic options. So if you want to see what can be done with animals as player characters, give Of Beasts Brave and True a look.



3 comments:

  1. I’m sure this lineage gets a lot of draw...it’s such an interesting and cool addition. Typing this as one of my Rovers incessantly squeaks his squeaky ball to play, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be interested in a variant on the Rover that's like a hunting dog or guard dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be easy enough to do little to no modification. Say your Rover is a hunting dog and take the Ranger Archetype. Done.

      Delete